Monday, November 12, 2012

Bad Veggie Soup

I have a new bad habit. Well, actually it is a good habit.  This habit feeds my body and nourishes my soul with each rich creamy bite. Like your normal Type Aish person I go to the grocery store every Sunday and stock up on items for the week. This working gal hates going to the store and likes knowing what I will be cooking every night after a long day. Most weeks I end up with some vegetable that I forgot to cook or we got rushed and went to Chipotle instead of making dinner. My new habit is turning unused veggies into soup. You would think that I grew up in poverty because I hate wasting things. Yesterday, I spent 4 hours making applesauce because I couldn't stand the thought of putting all the apples from our apple tree in the compost. For the record, I did not grow up in poverty but had a frugal fanatic for a father. 

So here's the most easy and delicious soup recipe:

Melt a pat of butter in a stockpot. Saute half an onion for 3 or so minutes. Add any old veggie in chunks and some kind of stock to almost cover the veggies. Simmer until veggies are very tender, 30 minutes or so. Remove from heat and blend with a hand held blender. If you're naughty like me add some half and half to make it extra creamy.  It is simply delicious on its own but you can add any seasoning you like. I really like a dash of nutmeg in my soups, odd, yes, but very yummy. Obviously this is not a one pot soup so don't throw all your old veggies in a pot and try this. Make sure the combo of veggies you use is something that sounds good. Or, throw it all in there and please let me know how your "everything soup" tastes.

This soup was cauliflower and spinach, both past their prime. Here it is before blending.

And, yummy after blending.

No comments:

Post a Comment